What are the effects of stress on college students?
College students experience stress related to changes in lifestyle, increased workload, new responsibilities, and interpersonal relationships. Extreme levels of stress can hinder work effectiveness and lead to poor academic performance and attrition.
What are the causes and effects of stress on students?
Mental. Poor concentration, forgetfulness, learning problems, frequent negative thoughts, speech problems. Emotional. Anxiety, depression, anger, irritability, feelings of helplessness, lack of purpose, relationship troubles.
What are the main causes and effects of stress?
Chronic illness or injury. Emotional problems (depression, anxiety, anger, grief, guilt, low self-esteem) Taking care of an elderly or sick family member. Traumatic event, such as a natural disaster, theft, rape, or violence against you or a loved one.
What are the 5 most stressors for college students?
There are five major stressors for college students: academic, personal, family, financial, and future.
- Academic Stress. Attending classes, completing the readings, writing papers, managing projects, and preparing for exams all put a heavy burden on students. …
- Personal Stress. …
- Family Stress. …
- Financial Stress. …
- Future Stress.
What are 5 causes of stress?
What causes stress?
- being under lots of pressure.
- facing big changes.
- worrying about something.
- not having much or any control over the outcome of a situation.
- having responsibilities that you’re finding overwhelming.
- not having enough work, activities or change in your life.
- times of uncertainty.
How does stress affect student performance?
A high level of stress reduces students’ ability to concentrate on their studies. Consequently, it makes it difficult for them to memorize facts for tests. Even more, poor concentration could limit students’ ability to think critically or at optimal levels when they write their papers or during tests.
What are the causes of stress on students?
Some of the things students commonly cite as causes of stress include:
- returning to study.
- pressure of combining paid work and study.
- difficulty in organising work.
- poor time management.
- leaving assignments to the last minute.
- out of control debts.
What are 5 negative effects of stress?
Physical symptoms of stress include:
- Low energy.
- Upset stomach, including diarrhea, constipation, and nausea.
- Aches, pains, and tense muscles.
- Chest pain and rapid heartbeat.
- Frequent colds and infections.
- Loss of sexual desire and/or ability.